Wednesday, August 5, 2026

A Brief Look At My 4th Grade Goals

(This was an old blog post I began writing a year ago and forgot about. I randomly found it while searching through about 100 of these drafts to find one that I should revisit. This seemed interesting given my recent attempts at self-improvement, so Ima polish this short thing up. Hope you enjoy my mind of 9 year old me.)

A few years ago I found some of my old notebooks from 4th grade. 4th grade was an interesting memory, mostly because I completely forgot all about it. And it was only 7 years ago, mind you!...Woah, time really flies.

Now, the content of the notebook was what you expect from some dumb 9 year old, but one page that stook out to me was one of the first pages, describing some of my goals for the beginning of the year. And it's actually very interesting!


So immediately you can tell that just like now, my handwriting is GARBAGE. A lot of the letters are smushed together, and the actual spelling is mediocre.

  • quizes
  • freinds
  • rememberance
But I think it's the content that matters more. What were some goals 9 year old me has, and how have they aged?
  • Be neat. (I don't think I did that...and I don't think I ever did. Don't look at my room.)
  • Be better at math. (Totally achieved that one!)
  • Try and not get quizzes wrong. (I'm good at quizzes. Most of the time...)
  • Take care of my friends. (Huh.)
  • Understand people. (WOAH, young me! So ambitious to understand people. I still can barely understand some people.)
  • Not be forgetful. (Hit or miss for me now, I'm still kinda forgetful)
The one I circled was the one I expanded on. It was the one I wanted to achieve the most, and I said:
  • Because in 3rd grade I was forgetful and my teacher wanted me to focus on things I forgot (like passwords and homework) So this year I focus on rememberance.
I'm pretty sure I meant "remembrance", which I actually JUST found out was a word. My 4th grade teacher at the time, who I'll call Mrs. C wrote in pen some advice for me to be less forgetful, all of which is still great advice nowadays:
  • Be more focused while during classwork and remember to do homework.
  • Set a timer.
  • Break down assignment into chunks.
  • Agenda book - check agenda.
  • Do homework at after school.
  • If I don't finish, take my agenda book out as soon as I get home.
  • Check in w/ teacher and parents
  • Teacher can help understand assignment
  • Parents can check agenda book
This is pretty basic stuff that honestly, I should get more of hand nowadays. This goes for all grades- 4th grade, 7th grade, 11th grade- stuff like this can help you get better control of your work and help you remember more.

And Now...My 11th Grade Goals

I think this year I'm going to focus on such skills. I have already begun putting more of my assignments and plans on my calendar- both my online one and my real one. Hopefully by transfering assignment plans from my brain into something actually tangible, I can actually make plans and organize my schoolwork before it piles up on me. I've also been practicing more on focus by controlling my "tab problem" and having music in the background when I feel confused. When I slow down, breath in, and just focus on what's in front of me, I can better solve my problems, wheter they relate to my daily life or school.

With my 11th grade year coming in 3 weeks, it's best I start taking control of myself again after such a crazy summer. I'll still allow myself to have fun, but if I have to remember self-discipline to make sure I keep my grades up next year, I will do it. It's not like it has to be overkill, I can take small steps like limiting my screen time, giving myself goals to read small bits before I do fun stuff, and just talking to friends about schoolwork in general. 

So, yeah, those were some of the goals 4th grade me have, and surprisingly a lot still hold up today. That is kind of sad because it could imply my childish nature, but we are always improving, and we have to commit to always improving. Hope you liked this little post, as I said I promise I'll be posting more often. Whether or not it's always related to self-improvement idk, I'll probably return to true crime soon. Thanks for reading!

- ninesevenpotatoes, 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment

GoGuardian is Ruining My Life

  (More like NoGuardian...) Yes, the title is hyperbole, but this is a blog, so I'm going to use hyperbole all I want. So, junior year b...